The phrase “work-from-home” usually conjures an image of a pajama-clad person focused on his laptop while lounging on the couch. That is not always the case though – especially today when a variety of lucrative and high-powered positions are quite flexible.
Work from home jobs are also more in demand because over 90% of companies have fewer than 1,000 employees and do not mind hiring someone with experience and skills to serve them from home. It means that if the idea of hustling to a workplace everyday fascinates you little, you can always start working from home like more than 40 million Americans.
While these jobs have several benefits, especially for single mothers who have to take care of their young kids at the same time, there are some considerations too. The biggest consideration is that not all jobs available online are legit.
Knowing so many people are now interested in making money from home, many scammers have joined the interest to cash in on this growing demand.
Now, while some ‘work from home jobs’ are sort of legit, they may pay absolute peanuts. Unless you are willing to earn $5 to $10 dollars a day for 6-8 hours of work (and some people in poor countries are), you need to be selective about the type of work from home jobs you choose.
You certainly need to take your time and consider a few things before you apply for a job, but you should also know that some work-from-home jobs are quite legitimate and actually pay as much as traditional jobs, if not more.
Here are some of the best work-from-home jobs that actually pay quite well.
Quite a few survey taking jobs are available, but not all of them pay that well. Still, you can earn anywhere between $1 and $50 per survey. How much money is on offer usually depends on how much time you would need to complete the survey. The job is simple – you need to answer questions about shopping trends, take an opinion poll, or review a specific product. Some companies pay you cash in return, while others give you points that you can redeem for gift cards. Pineconeresearch.com, Darwinsdata.com, and Paidviewpoint.com are some options to consider. Be sure to sign up with as many sites as you can to end up making good money in the end. Avoid signing up for sites that ask for a membership or demand your bank info or Social Security number.
You can earn $10-$15 working a website tester. Your job is to test websites to ensure they are intuitive and easy to navigate. Most companies provide you with specific instructions that you need to following while testing the website. It is a good idea to register with several companies and be always ready to grab any opportunity that becomes available. You have to be vigilant because these opportunities are available first come, first served. Youeye.com, Usertesting.com, and Userlytics.com are some nice sites to start with, but you should look for more because it usually takes no more than 20 minutes to test a website.
Film and Post How-To Videos
It is yet another interesting and lucrative work-from-home job for you to try. The idea is to make interesting videos and post them on popular video sites. How much you make depends on how many people end up clicking your video. You usually get $1-$2 for every 1,000 hits, but keep in mind that an interesting video can easily get more than 300,000 hits on YouTube. Just make your video interesting, which you can do by sharing something you enjoy doing. It could be related to cooking or something else. You only need a free YouTube account and a good quality smartphone camera to get started. Once you start getting more subscribers, you are likely to make more money on a regular basis.
Corporate English Trainer
It is a perfect job for you if you are a native English speaker with some computer skills and interest in having a chat with people over the phone. With some good office experience, you can expect more than $15 an hour from this job. You may find this job even more interesting and rewarding if you are bilingual. Your clients would be students in countries like Korea, Japan, Germany, etc., where English is not their first language. You will be teaching them how to handle meetings and professional talks. If you have experience as a teacher, you can choose to work as an ESL teacher as well. You are more likely to secure these jobs if you have a degree in education or ESL.
Search Engine Evaluator
Do you have interest in music and movies, and diverse cultures? You may choose to work as a search engine evaluator and earn up to $9-$10 an hour. You will be working with companies like Yahoo! and Google and use their information to check how well their search engines are functioning. In other words, you will use the search engine and tell them if you have been able to find what you have been searching for with 100% accuracy. Since these search engines do not produce 100% accurate results, there is always room for improvement, and you can help them improve. You may have to work 10-25 hours a week but you can end up making good money. Keep in mind that it is not easy to find search engine evaluator gigs through specific companies, but you have to work with third-party organizations with in-house testing and acceptance systems to earn money as an evaluator.
Customer Service Representative
You can get started easily and start earning $8 an hour that you can quickly convert into $18/hour by proving your worth. The biggest requirement is ‘patience’ – you need to be patient and willing to go the extra mile to answer customers’ tricky and sometimes rather annoying questions. You need to have solid computer skills with exceptional speaking abilities to earn big. Your job will involve working with customers and help them find a right product, place an order, and even resolve a conflict. These work-from-home jobs are usually perfect for single moms because both part- and full-time positions are available. You can work directly with companies or find third-party sites that help you work for other companies.
If you are a quick typist, there is a job for you too. You can start working as a transcriptionist and make some good money. It is relatively easier to find such jobs because doctors, TV shows, and many industries around the world want to keep a well-documented record of their activity, and a transcriptionist can lend a helping hand here. Keep in mind that you can succeed as a transcriptionist when you can stay focused while listening to audio files. Strict attention to detail matters a lot.
When it comes to working from home, you just cannot ignore freelancing. There are so many jobs available in this category, but not all of them are going to pay well – not to mention that so many of them do not actually ‘pay’ since many scammers are around to take advantage of your situation. You can choose to work as a freelance coder or start offering your services as a freelance writer. Writers in particular are in demand and manage to earn a good deal of money, especially when they have established them in the market. You can join certain websites and start working with companies who need your services. Here are some of the best options you can try:
- Odesk: It is one of the very best all-purpose freelancing site where you have to write up profiles and apply for writing, coding, and designing gigs.
- WriterAccess: You should try this site if you are interested in working as a freelance writer. There are tons of writing-specific jobs available here. You have to take a test before you start working with them.
- Upwork: It is among the biggest freelancer sites you can find online. You can certainly find so many job opportunities related to all freelancing categories, but be ready to deal with fierce competition.
- LiveOps: You can try this site to find some impressive telemarketing and customer support jobs. All you need is a phone and access to the internet to get started.
- Flexjobs: It is yet another interesting site offering good telecommuting opportunities with some impressive part-time gigs and jobs available in more than 100 industries.
There is a long list of freelancing sites and most of them work great to find you a job. Just keep in mind that not all freelancing jobs are created equal – they sometimes do not pay well and you even have to pay a fee to join those sites. Getting started as a freelancer can always be challenging, so you may have to use these sites in the beginning of your career. While these sites certainly help freelancers, be sure to check local job postings, Craigslist, and job sites to find interesting freelancing opportunities.
Creating Your Own Niche Websites
You can always create your own website and see about making revenue opportunities there. If you create a website about a specific topic (niche) and start to gain traffic, it’s possible to make money via affiliate marketing, Adsense, and other such programs. Millions of people now do this, though the road to success is long and hard. This is something that takes months and years, not weeks. But it is possible to make money online.
At best, this is a part time effort on your part with an eye to long term planning. This is NOT something to undertake if you just lost your job and need to pay rent and need a job now!
Other Interesting Work-from-Home Opportunities
There are work-from-home jobs available, but you need to consider your exact skills and experience level before you start looking for a lucrative opportunity. You might have to accept low-paying offers in the beginning, but you can certainly start earning more once you make a place of your own in the industry. It is important to point out that some highly lucrative work-from-home jobs are available for anyone with a specialized degree and related educational background. For instance:
- Supervisor Attorney/Partner Attorney: You can start working as a supervisory attorney to oversee less experienced and new attorneys working in a legal setting. Your experience counts here. You also have to provide support and guidance to another attorney and their assigned cases and staff. Expect anything between $117,000 and $152,000 while working as a supervisory attorney!
- Senior Software Engineer: By working as a senior web developer or software engineer, you can earn anywhere between $100,000 and $200,000. You will be working from home and be responsible for developing new software and testing specific software programs. You may also have to oversee related projects and manage an in-house team of software engineers.
- Senior Medical Writer: With a salary range of $110,000 to $115,000, working as a senior medical writer can prove quite lucrative for anyone interested in working from home. You can work for different types of healthcare-related companies, including pharmaceutical companies and medical publishers. Your job would be to review writing documents, medical information and editing other writers’ work. You would also have to work with senior management to handle other projects. You need to have a degree in a medical or science discipline to start working as a senior medical writer or medical editor.
- Director of Quality Improvement: Your role as a director of quality improvement or senior quality improvement manager would be to work with technical teams at a company to design and develop best practices related to data architecture and systems administration. You need to have excellent leadership skills as well because you may also have to work with senior management. You can expect anywhere between $100,000 and $175,000 working as a QA Director.
- Research Biologist: As a research biologist, you will have to explore and study biology and related concepts in various environments. You can choose to work in a lab or out in the field. You can also select a specialized field, such as taxonomy, zoology, population biology, physiology, and ecology. Salary range is $150,000 to $151,000.
- Audit Manager: While working as an audit manager, you can make anywhere between $90,000 and $110,000. You will work from home and be responsible for operational and financial audits for clients and companies. You will be expected to lead, plan, and execute internal audits. It is also important to document audit-related info in a professional manner.
You can always start earning money by working as a freelance writer or developer, and you can easily get money to supplement your income, but you need to pay more attention to jobs with titles like, “Senior”, “Manager”, “Director”, etc., to find opportunities that really pay big. Just bear in mind that experience matters a lot when you want to secure a high-paying work-from-home job. You may want to complete a degree and earn some experience in the field before applying for these jobs online.