FSEOG Grant: What is it and How to Apply

Posted on May 30 2013 - 6:23am by admin



The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a needs based grant for undergraduate students. This grant does not have to be repaid. Students must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant in order to be considered for the FSEOG grant. Eligible students need to demonstrate extreme financial need and have among the smallest Expected Family Contributions of those students who received the Pell Grant.

An Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a number calculated by the federal government. It is an amount the government thinks your family is able to contribute to your post-secondary education. When calculating an EFC the government takes into account family income, assets, and how many people in your family are attending a post-secondary institution. Students with the lowest EFCs are the first to receive FSEOG funds.

Everyone who applies for the Pell Grant receives funding but this is not the case with the FSEOG grant. The FSEOG grant is limited to the amount of funding a school is given. The government distributes money to the schools who then have the power to decide who receives a FSEOG grant and how much that student will receive. The money for each grant comes from two sources. The government contributes 75% of the funds and the school contributes the other 25%.
For more information call the Federal Student Aid Information Center: 1-800-433-3243
Or visit: http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/college-planning/financial-aid/federal-supplemental-educational-grants.htm


In order to be eligible for a FSEOG grant you must first be eligible for and receive the Pell Grant. Only those who are eligible for the Pell Grant and are in the greatest need of funding are eligible to receive a FSEOG grant. The eligibility requirements for a Pell Grant include: to be a US citizen or an eligible non citizen with a valid Social Security Number, to have a high school diploma or an approved alternative, and you must demonstrate financial need. For the Pell Grant demonstrating financial need means your family has an income of less than $60, 000. For a FSEOG grant demonstrating financial need means you have one of the lowest EFC’s of all those eligible to receive a Pell Grant.

To receive any Federal aid, males, between the ages of 18 and 25, must be registered with the Selective Service. You can register using the FAFSA, visiting www.sss.gov or calling 1-847-688-6888. If you are already registered you need to provide confirmation of this.

The other eligibility requirements are: attend an accredited school participating in the FSEOG program and maintain an academic standard. The academic standard will include the student’s GPA and how many credits he earned versus the number of credits he attempted.

There are two reasons the government or a school may disqualify you from receiving a FSEOG Grant. The first reason is: you are in default on a federal student loan or you owe money on a federal grant. The second reason to be disqualified for a FSEOG Grant is if you have been convicted of a sexual offense and civilly committed. The government will suspend your federal aid if you are convicted of a drug offense while you are enrolled in school and receiving aid.

For more information about eligibility visit:

Application Process

To apply for the Federal Supplemental Educational Student Grant you need to fill out an FAFSA (Federal Application For Student Aid). You can submit your application via paper or the internet as early as January 1st. When filling out the FAFSA, it is important to make sure to follow directions and fill-in all information. You are going to have to submit additional documents with your application. These documents will include copies of your: social security card, drivers license, W-2 forms, income tax returns, bank statements, etc. You will have to fill out this form every year to receive FSEOG funding.

You can track your application by going to: http://www.pin.ed.gov/PINWebApp/pinindex.jsp and applying for a Federal Student Aid PIN number. This PIN number can be used to track your FAFSA application as well as to apply for federal aid each subsequent year. Your PIN number confirms your identity to the government when trying to access your records.

Once the FAFSA has been processed both you and the four colleges you wrote down will receive a Student Aid Report. This report will contain your Expected Family Contributions and a Data Release Number. It is important to remember this number because you will need it if you ever want to go back and change your information.

The FAFSA can be found here: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Once your FAFSA has been completed and processed, the schools that received your Student Aid Report will contact you. Each school will send you a letter, through email or regular mail, to let you know if you are eligible for a FSEOG Grant and, if so, how much you will receive. Each school may or may not offer you the same grant amount. This is because grant amounts are partially determined by the amount of funding a school receives.

Award Amount

The FSEOG amount a student can receive can be anywhere between $100 and $4,000. The amount you receive is dependent on when you submit your FAFSA, your financial need, and the availability of funds. FSEOG grants are only given out so long as the school has grant money. It is first come first serve and the first ones to receive a FSEOG grant will be those with the most financial need and the lowest Expected Family Contribution. It is up to the school to determine how much grant money to give a student.

Receiving Funds

Your school will allocate your grant funds to you. Each year schools apply to the government to receive FSEOG funds to distribute to students. The government gives the funds to schools to add to the funds the schools have already set aside for FSEOG grants. Schools are required to provide 25% of the funds for every FSEOG grant they give out. Schools are required to disbursed funds once per term or, if terms are not used. twice per school year.

Your school is required to tell you in writing: if you are eligible for the FSEOG grant, how much you are to receive, and how the school is going to pass the funds onto you. Schools have the choice of applying a student’s grant directly to his school bill or the school can cut a student a check for the full amount of the grant.