Free Legal Assistance by State

Are you looking for free legal advice? As a single mother, you know that lawyers can be expensive, and it’s hard to find money to hire someone to help you with your legal problems – especially if those problems involve money in the first place! Whether you’re looking for advice on child support, custody, bankruptcy and financial issues, applying for benefits, or dealing with domestic violence, it’s important that you get the help you need.

Take a look at our  detailed ‘What to Do If You Can’t Afford a Lawyer‘ article which gives you some good tips on what to do.

When you have questions about legal issues, you need people who are ready to help answer those questions. Single mothers often have to deal with court documents and legal filings related to child support, domestic violence, custody, bankruptcy, unemployment benefits, and federal benefits like Social Security disability payments. Because of high court costs, it’s important that you find people who can help you for little or no cost.

Note: If you or your children are suffering from domestic abuse, don’t wait another minute to get help. Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (1-800-799-SAFE) as soon as possible. You can also check to find resources in your state.

Also check out for more info on domestic abuse issues.

Where to Find Free Legal Help

To find free legal help from a lawyer or legal services group near you, click through the links listed for your state.

MassachusettsMinnesotaMissouriNebraskaNew Hampshire
New MexicoNorth CarolinaOhioOregonRhode Island
South DakotaTexasVermontWashingtonWisconsin
MichiganMississippiMontanaNevadaNew Jersey
New YorkNorth DakotaOklahomaPennsylvaniaSouth Carolina
TennesseeUtahVirginiaWest VirginiaWyoming
  • Amanda Riccardi

    I need legal advice on a custody and child support.

  • christina rhodes

    i need help obtaining an attorney with child custody. i cant afford an attorney an eastern missouri legal aide wont help me because i had an attorney when i got divorced. i dont understand what that matters that i had an attorney at the time of my divorce 3-5 years ago. my ex husband and i share joint physical 50-50 custody of our children. a few months ago he picked them up from school and without a word he moved out of state with our children enrolled them in a school in the state he moved too and refuses to let me see my children.I have talked to my children they call me when he isnt around they want to come home and they miss me.I promised my babies i wouldnt stop till i got them home again and safe. My children and Myself was victims of my ex husband with domestic abuse. he has abused and hurt my children and dfs does nothing, noone has helped me at all the local police wouldnt even make a report on him parentally kidnapping my children.. please help me as i am lost as to what to do next….

  • Kevin Kelly

    Attorneys are for the rich, not a mother and her children who are owed $51,000.00 in back child support. If States and the Federal Government got serious about child support collect, you could cut welfare programs by half.