Free Legal Assistance in California

Outside of the larger cities, it’s often hard to find free legal help. The State of California supports single parents who live in smaller towns with free legal advice through the California Rural Legal Assistance group. They offer help for English-speaking and Spanish-speaking families, and this is a good resource for immigrant and migrant workers. Check the CRLA website ( to find the office location in your area.

If you live in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, Fresno, or Sacramento, you can go to one of these free legal aid centers, which all offer services in multiple languages:

  • Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (
  • Justice & Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco (
  • Legal Aid Society of San Diego (
  • Santa Clara County Self-Help Center (
  • Central California Legal Services (
  • Legal Services of Northern California (