Financial Assistance in Northwest Territories

If you are a single mother, whether your child is new born or attending college, life is bound to be a  busy affair. You get to do all the jobs about the house, organize the shopping, cook the meals, pay the bills and go out to work. You also have to get up in the night everytime the baby cries or needs a feed, get the kids to school each day and make sure they get their homework done at the end of it. It’s hardly surprising that you sometimes feel isolated and defeated by life.


But, if someone came along and explained how you could get not only help, support and advice but also actual, cash assistance to help you to cope with all these things, wouldn’t you feel better? It might sound like an impossible dream, but actually, if you live in the North-West Territories of Canada, all this help could be on its way. You’re going to have to do a bit of work getting your documentation together, filling in application forms, and be ready to liaise with the authorities, but isn’t it worth it?


All you need to do is find out what help there is offered by both your province and the government of Canada, know the eligibility criteria and how to apply. Most of the help programs detailed in this article are connected to family needs and especially those of single mothers and low income parents, but there are other, more general schemes in place too which may be of help to you. So, check out the two links below. The first is to Benefits Canada:



and the second to Service Canada:





Canada Child Tax Benefit (Federal)



This benefit is paid monthly, and comes to you completely tax free. It’s there to help  anyone who has a child under the age of 18 living with them, and who is the main carer for that child. You also need to be a Canadian citizen or legal resident.

The actual amount of the benefit varies according to your situation, and consists of two parts: the National Child Benefit Supplement and the Child Disability Benefit. Of course, the second part will only be applicable if you have a disabled child.


So, how do you apply…and how do you know if you are eligible? The best advice seems to be not to worry about eligibility, just go ahead and make that application and let the authorities sort it out, as eligibility rules are comlex and can be confusing. Better to try and fail than not to try and lose out!  The time to make the application is as soon as you give birth to a child, or when a child you are looking after moves into your home, or immediately you receive official Canadian residency.

You can apply in several ways…so choose the one that is applicable. In fact, if you signed up and agreed to the automatic benefits service, you can apply through that. Not sure about this service? Check out here:



Or, you can apply online:



If you prefer making an application on paper, then this is the link for you:




Child Disability Benefit (Federal)

If you’ve got a seriously disabled child, you can get more help through the Child Disability Benefit. The disability can be physical or mental, but it does need to be classed as serious (and likely to last for at least a year) to confer eligibility.



If your disabled child is under 18 and you are the main carer for that child, this will pay you up to 2,740$ a year.  To apply, first you will need a certificate from your doctor. You need to complete a form, as does your doctor. You can download the form from the following link:



It’s best to make sure you have completed and filed your tax return before you apply for the disability benefit or you could find there is a delay in processing your application. This is then sent to the Canada Revenue Agency for approval. Once approved, your payments can begin, and these are paid monthly.And, they’re tax free.


Northwest Territories Child Benefit (Provincial)



This is a provincial program that could be for you if you are resident in the northwest territories and have a child under the age of 18 years. It acts as a supplement to your Canada Child Tax Benefit (paying 27.50$ per child each month), and there is a further supplement that may be payable as well if you meet certain earned income criteria. You don’t need to make any application for this, it uses the information from your existing CCTB and comes to you automatically added to this.


Universal Child Care Benefit (Federal)



Universal Child Care Benefit is payable to all Canadian families resident in Canada with a child or children under the age of 6 (born after the 1st July 2006), irrespective of income levels or financial situation. You can use it for anything connected to the care of your child or children, so if you need child care or school equipment for your child, this is very useful. It is taxable, but single moms will be taxed as two parent families. If you are married or living with the other parent, the benefit will be paid to whichever of you earns the least.  It offers 100$ per month. You may not even need to apply, as if you already get Canada Tax Benefit your application for UCCB will be made automatically. If not, this is what to do:

Get online at the website of the Canada Revenue Agency:



Or, get along to your local Service Canada Centre:



Or, call 1-800-387-1193


Child Care User Subsidy (Provincial)



If you’re a single parent, or if you are bringing up children on a low income, chances are that child care costs can be a real problem for you. Many mothers find that almost all of their income seems to be eaten up by the costs of child care, making it seem hardly worth going to work at all. But if you want to improve your family’s life, you need to keep going with your career. It’s quite a difficult problem. So, the Northwest Territories province has a child care subsidy program aimed at helping to solve this situation.

If you’ve got a child of under 12, live in the Northwest Territories, attend an educational institute or work outside of your home and struggle to cover the costs of child care due to a low income, you should get in touch with your nearest office of  Education, Culture and Employment to ask how to make your application. The documentation you’ll need is as follows:


  • Proof of your child’s age (birth certificate)
  • Proof of your income
  • Proof that you attend school or work for a minimum of 15 hours per week
  • Proof of the costs of child care


RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan  (Federal)

If you’ve got an RESP set up for your child, he or she also becomes eligible to receive extra help and benefits. You, your family and friends can all contribute to the fund, which has a lifetime limit of 50,000$. And, it can run for up to 36 years, so your child doesn’t have to hurry his studies! The money from this fund can be used to help finance any educational costs: Full or part time courses, apprenticeships, college courses or university degrees. And tax is only payable on the funds that are actually disbursed from the fund, not on contributions made or funds that remain held within the RESP. So, an RESP makes sound financial sense.

To find what you need to know about choosing the best promoter for your RESP, follow the link below. It’s really important to choose the right one for your needs or you and your child could lose out on cash in the future.



All you need to apply is a Social Insurance Number…both your child and the promoter need one of these.

You can find out more about an RESP and how to set one up on the link below:



Canada Education Savings Grant  (Federal)



This is a great plan that pays out 20% on your RESP contributions to help you even further on the way to a good education for your child. If you’re a low to middle income family too, you can be paid an extra 10% or 20% on the first 500$ of contributions made every year added onto your CESG as described above. This can continue until your child is 17 years of age.

All youngsters of up to 17 are eligible for this, as long as they meet the basic criteria of being Canadian citizens and have a RESP already in place.


Don’t forget:  choose your promoter with care. Check the link given above and be sure your promoter offers all the services you require.


Canada Learning Bond  (Federal)

The Canada Learning Bond can also help you pay educational costs through savings schemes. It is a federal incentive program, aimed at making it simpler for hard up families to get involved with the RESP scheme. It will contribute 500$ into your child’s RESP, whatever your level of contributions. After that, up until he or she reaches 15 years of age, 100$ is deposited into the RESP. If the costs of setting up the RESP are a concern, an additional 25$ can be put forward to help with that too.


If you like the sound of all this extra help, then this is what you need to qualify:


  • Your child must have been born after 31st of December 2003.
  • You need to be receiving your National Child Benefit Supplement.


When you open your RESP, be sure to check that the promoter you choose offers this option or you won’ be able to take advantage of this bond.



Nobody’s Perfect (Federal)

‘Nobody’s Perfect’ is a program that aims to help single parents get together and understand the help that’s available to them.



It is aimed at you if you are a single mom, have a low income or you are experiencing other difficulties and feeling lost and alone. Group meetings help you not just to meet others in a similar situation as you, but also gives you access to expert advice on topics like health and parenting skills. You can go along if your child is under 5. It’s a great way of building up a support network of other parents and also professionals that can be there for you throughout your child rearing years and even throughout life.


Find out more about ‘Nobody’s Perfect’ and how to apply here at the appropriate office for your locality:




Child Rearing Drop Out Provision  (Federal)

You probably already know that on your retirement from work (or if you have to stop work due to disability) you will become entitled to your basic benefits from the Canada Pension Plan. And, when you’re gone, your kids can benefit from this.  But did you also know that if you have to drop out of work (thus normally decreasing your pension entitlement) because you have children to raise, you can take advantage of the Child Rearing Drop Out Provision to offset these losses. You can apply for CRDP at the same time as you apply for your CPP, but be aware it takes about 6 months before you’ll start receiving your benefits.

Your  CRDP is payable for any months when you either received your National Child Benefit payments or were eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit. Your earnings have to have been less than normal during this time due to you having had to stop working or work fewer hours in order to care for your children. (Children need to have been seven years of age or less to count.) Finally, to qualify, your child has to have been born after the 31st of December 1958.

To find out more, here’s the link.



To make your application online, click here:



And, this link will take you to a site that details your nearest Service Canada Office where you can pop in to grab an application kit.




Canada Pension Plan Children’s Benefits  (Federal)

If your parents are now deceased or have become disabled, you could be eligible for Children’s Benefits as long as your parents made sufficent contributions during their lifetimes/working lives. CPP Children’s Benefits give you an extra monthly pay out of an amount ascertained by the level of their previous contributions. You can have a look at the charts to see what those levels and pay out amounts could be here:



As long as your parents did make sufficient contributions, you’ll be eligible if you are between 18 and 25 and attending full time school or college at an approved educational institution, or if you’re under 18. Here’s how to apply:



Full information is available on the following link:




Employment Insurance  (Federal)

Employment Insurance can cover you for the loss of your job for a number of reasons. It could be that you’ve been laid off due to job cuts, become sick or disabled, or just if you can’t find a job in spite of trying your best. As long as your unemployment isn’t your fault, you should be able to claim if you have this cover.



The insurance pays around 55% of your average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum payout of 468$ a week. You can claim for 14 to 45 weeks, but it’s dependant on how many insurable working hours you accrued in the previous 52 week period. It’s also worth noting that if you manage to get back into work before you’ve used up all the benefit, you can keep the rest to use in the future should you meet with more employment problems. It is also important to keep a provable record of your attempts to find work during your period on the benefits.


So, are you eligible? You are if you have:


  • Paid your Employment Insurance premiums
  • Have become unemployed through circumstances not under your control and not your fault.
  • Have received no pay for work nor been in work for seven consecutive days or more during the pervious year
  • Have accrued enough insurance hours to qualify during the last year or since the beginning of  your last EI claim.


You can apply online …see the link below:



Or you can go to a Service Canada Centre.



Employment Insurance Family Supplement  (Federal)



This one’s an extra feature of the Employment Insurance as explained above. It offers you even more benefits if you are a carer who has a low income, and you lose your employment leaving you really struggling. It’s really worth having as it pays up to a massive 80% of your insurable earnings, so if you’re eligible ( you need to receive Canada Child Tax and have an income of below 25,921$ ), it can really help.And, you don’t even have to worry about filling in forms to apply for the supplement as it will simply be added to your existing EI if you meet the criteria.



Aboriginal Head Start in Urban and Northern Communitites. (Federal)




If you are Inuit, First Nation or Métis in origin and you live off reserve,  this is for you. It offers  classes in aboriginal culture and language, education and preparation for school, health, nutrition, parenting and general support.


If you live on reserve, there’s a similar program for you.



To find out how to apply, follow the link below:



So, even if things get tough, you can see there are plenty of places to turn for help in the Northwest Territories. Make sure you get the benefits you’re entitled to…so if you aren’t sure if you qualify or not, ask anyway!