So many circumstances can make you live as a stay-at-home mom. Single moms with kids may find it extremely difficult to manage so much at the same time.
They have to take care of the kids and go out to earn something for their little ones. Sometimes, it is not enough to do a day job to make ends meet. On other occasions, you may not be able to go out in the first place. If you are a single dad and worried about the cost of childcare, you may consider using some side job ideas to earn extra cash.
On other occasions, you may not be able to go out in the first place. If you are a single mother and worried about the cost of childcare, you may consider using some side job ideas to earn extra cash.
You can do many jobs in your spare time. Some of these job ideas are so impressive that you can work on them, make them big, and then use them to lay the foundation of your new business. It is all about how much time and effort you are willing to put in to make different ideas work. If you have just started out, you can always start working as a freelance writer.
Start Working as a Freelance Writer
Freelance writing is one of the best things you can do without having to go out of your home. You can take care of your kids and keep an eye on them while working on your computer. In some cases, you do not require a degree to get started.
You just need to know how to use words to convey your message as clearly as possible. You can find many writing jobs depending on what type of writing work you think you can handle with authority. It is possible to work as a ghostwriter where you will be working for someone else and sell your work for a fixed price.
You can also write for the internet, as many websites require keyword optimized content to help improve their rankings. To be able to write content for the search engine, you will have to develop some understanding of search engine optimization and keywords. Your knowledge and experience in SEO will help you get good results while looking for new jobs.
You can also start writing E-books. These books can be on different topics. If you know a bit about online marketing, you will realize the importance of writing ebooks, as many companies offer these books to make their brand popular. You can help them create these books and earn some extra cash.
It is also possible to work as a fiction writer or you can use your knowledge to help people populate their websites with content. If you have a background in marketing, you can put your skills to use and create high-quality sales copies for websites.
While these jobs can be tricky, you can certainly charge good money for such writing gigs. Over time, you can also establish your online presence by starting a website and handle different jobs at the same time. It is also a good idea to manage a team of writers and divide writing work in them. This way, you can serve many clients at the same time and there will always be a degree of job security, as you will always have some work available.
It is also a good idea to manage a team of writers and divide writing work in them. This way, you can serve many clients at the same time and there will always be a degree of job security, as you will always have some work available.
In addition to working as a writer, you can also use other job ideas to make extra cash. For instance:
- Use your space to earn money. It means that you can turn your space into a Microsublet and get some money in return. All you have to do is list your free space, such as your guest bedroom on sites like Roomorama or Airbnb and give travelers a place to stay. Many people make some good cash doing this, part time. People would choose to stay in a homely environment and save some money that they would otherwise be spending on hotel bills. You can also provide your guests with HD cable TV, free Wi-Fi, linens, a mini fridge, and other services to ensure your space gets booked quickly. The good thing is that you will be giving your space to travelers, so they are less likely to be around all the time to bother you. They will be out exploring the city and you will still get paid.
- Make use of focus groups. It is easy to find focus groups in your area and depending on the focus, they may be willing to offer anywhere between $50 and $125 per session. Interestingly, these sessions usually last no more than 2 hours, which means that you can easily return home and take care of your kids. It will be an interesting experience as well because you will be asked to share your opinion on different things and get paid for that.
- Look for recyclables and sell them for cash. This may not look like a great job opportunity, but you do not need to spend a lot of time looking for these valuables. You just need to keep an eye for stuff that would help you earn money. If you could find bottles, cans, and scrap metals outside your building, you can easily sell it for cash. With the popularity of self-service recycling station, you are likely to make more money by collecting and selling recyclables for cash.
- Be a sperm donor. That is something not every single dad may like, but it can always be an opportunity to make some extra cash. However, it is still a good idea to consider ethical and moral ramifications of making such decisions. Donated sperm may sometimes be used to fertilize donated eggs. Therefore, you may want to avoid using this option if you do not like the idea of having a biological child you do not know anything about.
- Make use of an exchange student program. This option may suit you well if you live near a college or university campus. In this case, you can host an exchange student and offer students from other states or countries an opportunity to live with you while completing their degrees. All you have to do is provide your guest with a clean room with internet access along with a few meals a day. This is yet another interesting and effective way to maximize your income.
- Start blogging and earn extra money. This is again something related to writing but there is much more to blogging than you might see at the first glance. A single mom can always benefit from blogging for cash, if they are willing to put in the work! Stay-at-home mom blogs are quite popular online because people to read about their cooking mishaps, gorgeous pictures of their babies, and crafting adventures. You can start a blog as well and document your experience as a single dad. You will be amazed to know how many people are actually interested in hearing from you. While people come to your site, you can easily make money by making them click Google ads.
- Start working as a virtual assistant. It means that you will have to assist someone over the phone for a fixed amount of money. It is important to mention that as a virtual assistant, you may have to perform different duties. Sometimes, you are only required to make phone calls, but on other occasions, you need to perform online research, post content on social media sites, and handle other tasks as well. The more you do, the higher the chances of you making more money.
- Teach people how to play an instrument. The option works great for single dads who know how to play a musical instrument. You can search listings on Craigslist or use the internet to find opportunities to teach someone over the internet. You do not always need to teach an instrument, but you can also help people learn another skill. You can even be a tutor online and help students learn some concepts. If English is your first language, you can help students who are not native English speakers to learn to speak English. You will be offering short sessions to make some good money and you can do all this while keeping an eye on what your little ones are doing.
- Pet sit for your friends or someone you know. You can consider using this job idea if your day job ends early and you know you will have some free time during the night. Many people have certain arrangements later in the day and they want someone to take care of their beloved pets while they are away. You will be around taking care of your child, so it would be a perfect opportunity to take care of a pet at the same time. Your kids might also enjoy the interaction. Interestingly, you can make up to $250 and more by caring for a couple of pets for a month.
- Start working as a notary signing agent. In case you are interested in making more money, you may want to start working as a notary-signing agent. Of course, you will require some training and certification before you could start offering your services, but you can find online resources to learn how to notarize official documents such as mortgage or loan documents. By opting for this job, you will be able to spend more time with your family and get some additional cash as well.
- Serve as a customer service agent. Again, this is an ideal job for single moms who cannot go out to make money because they have little kids at home to take care of. Many companies require customer service agents to guide their clients. If you have some experience and know how to provide administrative support with data processing, paperwork, and other tasks, you will have a greater chance of landing a good customer support job. Depending on how popular the company is, you may be able to make some good money without having to go out of your home.
- Arrange a yard or garage sale. If you have your basement piled high with stuff you no longer need, it may be a good idea to arrange a yard sale and sell that stuff for some additional cash. Another great idea is to list some of those items on online auction sites and earn some money. These auction sites really help because something that may be useless to you may have great value to someone else. This way, you can end up getting good money for things you do not think are valuable.
- Start designing software. If your current job involves coding and designing software, you may use your skill to find new clients online. Many companies and software houses are now looking for quality software designers and you can certainly sell your services for good money. If you are really good at it, you might actually be able to land a job with a big company. In this case, you might end up earning the top dollar without having to go out of your home or leaving your kids in childcare centers.
- Take surveys and make money online. The availability of the Internet has really made it easier to earn some extra cash using your free time. One good way is to take surveys while at home and earn money. You just need to answer some simple questions regarding a company or their services and get paid in return. It is really as simple as it looks. Just be sure to give your honest opinion because their business strategy depends on it.
The fact of the matter is that while it seems challenging to manage your job and kids as a single mom, you have to use all your skills and be ready to put in some effort to make everything work. It will take some time before everything falls into place, but be sure to keep trying.
Some side jobs are going to pay a little in the beginning, but you can earn more once you become experienced and know how to proceed. So, keep trying and things will get easier!